Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Gainesville/Atlanta

Well my trip under is way as yesterday I drove to Gainesville before heading to Atlanta today. But, It will not officially begin until I catch my first game tomorrow afternoon-Braves vs the "slugging" Phillies. If anybody is watching their game on ESPN tonight, you notice a thunderstorms in the area, in fact they went to a rain delay as I was doing this and it's not supposed to clear up for tomorrow's 1pm first pitch-hopefully I do not get rained out.

The trip up was uneventful. I still consider the stretch on the turnpike through Orlando the third most boring lengths of highway in the country behind I-70 through Kansas and east Colorado and I-80 through Iowa and Nebraska. However the billboards are still plenty entertaining and educational. Did you know that 2 of 5 black babies are aborted according to the 15+ billboards north of Orlando. But the best one was 15 miles into Georgia. It was simply a white billboard stating:

"OMG Becky, look at that board. . .it's so big"
followed by another right behind it:
"I like big boards and I cannot lie"


I got to Atlanta about 4pm and since this is my first time here I took a few hours to do a walkabout. The place I'm staying is only a 10 minute walk to downtown and a couple minute drive to Turner Field. It is very convenient, that is the only comment I will make about this "accommodation".


I did not do the traditional touristy things like the World of Coca Cola or the CNN Center, but I did see the outside of the CNN Center from Centennial Olympic Park. The picture to the left is a downtown view from the park. Strolled around the Georgia World Congress Center and Ga St University. I also checked out Underground Atlanta (was told is was a cool place to check out), but it reminded me of an indoor flea market.



Shoutouts:
Stephen and Amber for their hospitality last night. . .hope it did not cut into your holiday weekend.

Gatorball Baseball Academy for being my first "corporate sponsor" on my trip. If you don't know Gatorball check it out.

Old lady who almost ran me off the road on 75 (for giving me a quick jolt of energy)

Dude who flashed his lights helping me avoid a speed trap, and the other 11 cars who occupied the Georgia police while I sped right by.

Randoms:
8 oz. burger and 4 beers= $13.50 (I miss college towns)
665 miles driven, 72 songs
Song of the day: Less Than Jake "9th and Pine", 5606 "Rumor Has It" (tie)

3 comments:

  1. Suggestion - attempt a college campus visit per every 3 venues. Report back on most affordable watering holes and the drink of choice. Dre

    ReplyDelete
  2. georgia stinks for speeding!!!!

    ReplyDelete