Saturday, June 26, 2010

Chicago/Seattle/Oakland

Chicago part two
I spent the last three days I had in Chicago in a hostel in the Greektown district, just two blocks away from the blue line. Since I already had my fair share of Chicago traffic and found a great free spot on the street just a block away from the hostel, I gave my car a break for the remainder of my time in Chicago.
I met some very interesting people at that hostel including an active military bomb diffuser (don't remember his actual title) who I believe to be a pathological lier, a couple of kids that just graduated high school that don't quite understand the repercussions of alcohol and a traveling nomad like myself named Bryan. Bryan and I had similar journeys and he came with me to the White Sox game.
The city was nice, but huge and sprawled out. I think the thing I enjoyed most in the Second City was the food. Everywhere I ate it was delicious, huge portions, and relatively inexpensive. I few highlights were the stuffed crust pizza from Giordano's, the Italian beef sandwich from Al's Beef and chicken parm from the White Palace Grill. I also had a gyro from a place that claimed it was Chicago's best and it was pretty good.
But back to what I really came to Chicago for. It had rained most of my time there and when it was time for the White Sox game the weather forecasted for isolated showers, like it had for the last three days. But it turned out it was a beautiful night for baseball with not a cloud in the sky and a crispness to the air. Bryan and I took in the sites around the stadium while trying to score tickets. Just outside the gates is still the home plate from Comiskey Park and a monument in honor of the 2005 White Sox who ended a 78 year championship drought. After some patience, we got two lower box seats for $15 a piece. Then off inside.
It turns out patience payed off. These tickets were great, right behind first base about 40 feet up. I was impressed with US Cellular Field, especially being one of the older, newer parks(about 20 years old). It held a lot of people without looking big or too tall. We watched as the Braves jumped out to an early 3-0 lead then the Sox answered with 9 runs in the first four innings thanks to a Carlos Quentin 3 run HR, eventually taking the game 9-6. The White Sox piled on a season high 16 hits including an Alex Rios hit in which Braves 3B Brooks Conrad lost the ball in his jersey. If you haven't seen it yet check out this crude video on youtube.
After the game Bryan and I explored the park while we let the trains clear out a little before going home. They had statues in the outfield plaza, but more lifesize than other stadiums have had. Harold Baines looked as if he was 160 pounds soaking wet. But on of the most unique things I have seen in any park so far was the "Outfield Shower". It was originally installed in the outfield at Comiskey in 1976 for fans to cool off in on a hot summer day. It was moved when they built this new park.
That night, since it was my last in Chicago, I was determined to go down to Rush St. I would have been foolish if I spent four days and did not head down there once to check it out-even if it was on a Tuesday night. So around midnight I got on the train and headed towards the nightlife area. 45 minutes and one transfer later I had arrived and was thoroughly disappointed. I guess I am spoiled by the offerings in South Florida like South Beach, Las Olas and Coconut Grove, but this area did not compare and was expensive. I could not get a beer for less than $7. After three beers and more than $25 later, I was bored and took the 45 minute trip (one that is only 3 miles) back to Greektown and went to sleep.
That previous night was the most I had explored of Chicago due to the weather and my great parking spot. So since I was leaving I decided to drive around a little before I hit the road to Minneapolis. I drove up Lake Shore Drive and checked out Grant Park, saw the Navy Pier and also Wacker Dr, which features the corncob buildings. I also stumbled accross the United Center where the Bulls play and saw the Jordan statue. From the hostel I was able to see the Sears tower and it's just a tall building-nothing architecturally spectacular about it. By 1:30pm I was on the road to Minneapolis geared up for the 423 miles ahead of me.
Note: for those who have kept up with the game schedule, I decided to skip Milwaukee on the 23rd to ensure I could catch my flight from Minneapolis to Seattle at 6:25am on the 24th. I will be in Milwaukee on 7/5 after I return to Minneapolis.
The drive through Wisconsin was a pretty mundane one. However, I wish I had time to stop for a few hours. The whole state,especially Wis Dells, is just water parks and amusement parks many of which were indoors. But I had to keep plugging away to get to Minneapolis.
After several stops to keep myself awake and some construction I arrived in Minneapolis at 10:30. I intended on just leaving my car in the airport parking and sleeping at the airport but things changed. Turns out airport parking was $16-$20 a day. I found a Ramada 3 miles from the airport that provides a free shuttle to and from plus lets you park for up to 14 days included with you stay. All that ran $110 compared to $160-$200 I would pay just for parking. Gladly I shelled out the money to have a bed, bathroom and shower in the morning because the next day I was off to Seattle with no other plans but seeing a 12:40 game.
Seattle
I arrived in Seattle at 8:00am with plenty of time to get to the game. I intended on getting a rental car for the 20 hours I would be in the city before flew down to San Francisco. The previous day I looked and cars were available for $25 so i figured walking up and getting one would be no problem on a Thursday. Wrong again. They had cars, but the cheapest one wanted to charge $179 for the day. After I literally laughed in their face, I was stuck having to find other arrangements. I got on my computer and looked at my options. Seeing that the game was so early, I figured I would be nice to have a room to come back to and get a good night sleep before my 11:30 am flight Friday. I got a place 5 miles from the airport for $35, but could not check in until 3pm. The light rail runs from the airport to Safeco field round trip for $5, but I could not bring my carry on into the game. For another $5 I checked my bag into storage at the airport and was off to Safeco Field.
I was down by the stadium by 10:30 and needed to eat. There was a small sports bar named Sluggers near by so I went there and found, to my liking, people already drinking for the game. The food was not that great but I was hungry and then it was off to Safeco for an interleague matchup against the Cubs.
I had been to the old Kingdome but not to Safeco so I was interested in the grounds to see a comparison. There was no comparison- the open roof, the great views of downtown and the Space Needle from the first base line, and the spacious aisles blew the Kingdome out of the water. I was confused at the large black screen in center and did not know what it was covering or its purpose. And the one thing I did not like was the amount of foul territory along the bases. But once I got settled in to my excellent seats 20 rows behind home plate I was engulfed in the game, and what a game it was. There was as many Cubs fans as Mariners fans and they all 41,329 hated former Cub, current Mariner Milton Bradley (who only pinch hit in the game). This would be my first extra inning game as Marlon Byrd would hit a go ahead single in the 13th giving the Cubs a 3-2 win. By the time the game ended and I reached my hotel it was already 7pm and I was done for the day.
Oakland
Yesterday I flew into Oakland and arrived at 3pm- an hour and half late because of low clouds in the area. I had already had reservations for a rental car and by the time I had gotten to the car it was time to head to the Coliseum while fighting traffic. Cool enough, as I was sitting in traffic, the following music was played: Jimi Hendrix "Crosstown Traffic", Sublime w/Pharcyde "Summertime", and a couple of Grateful Dead tunes. I arrived to the Coliseum at 6 for a 7 game and was not too surprised a relatively empty parking lot for a A's matchup against the Pirates.
I bought a $12 ticket which included a $6 concession voucher and went inside to a vast and empty Oakland Coliseum. However, with the lack of fans, I was able to sit anywhere and was about 30 rows up between home plate and first base. The best $12 seats in the house and it was definitely the right section. I met a couple in the section that had brought in a some Jack Daniels and a few beers and they were hell-bent on me drinking with them and of course it would be rude for me to refuse. She would pour a shot every time the A's would score a run. Under normal circumstances this would not result in much drinking, but since the A's were playing the Pirates, this was not a normal night. The A's piled up 17 hits on there way to 14 runs in a 14-4 beat down of the Pirates. Luckily we ran out of Jack during the 7 run 7th and did not have all 14 shots.
The stadium itself is antiquated but still not a bad place to see a game. They have dual scoreboards over left and right field instead of one giant board and instead of activities and flair, they substitute good, cheap food. The garlic fries are good, but I heard SF is better, and beers were only $5. It was definitely the coldest game I have been to so far, mid 50's I think.
After the game I found a place in Berkley where a Dead cover band was playing and found it to be the appropriate activity of the night. They weren't half band and the drummer went on a ridiculous seven minute drum solo, which was pretty intense. After that I retired to my home for the next two days, a cherry red Hyundai Elantra, which is surprisingly spacious.
Off to the Giants/Red Sox game tonight.
Shoutouts:
Bryan for going to game with me in Chicago
The crazy military guy in Chicago that apparently had too much money to burn and bought several meals
Tim Hevly and Mariners organization for the tickets for my first retractable roof and extra innings game.
My mother on her birthday today. Hope it's a good one.
Neil Walker, Pirates 2B who I mentioned the last time I saw the Pirates play, for hitting a HR and making me look good. However I hope he's feeling better after leaving the game when he collided with Ryan Church in the 7th.
Randoms:
They sing "Louie, Louie" after "Take me out to the Ballgame" in Seattle during the seventh inning stretch.
Chicago has way too many homeless people and after awhile of being nice and generous they tapped me out and got on my nerves.
Al's Beef has a great water sign in their place

No comments:

Post a Comment